- The best drawn from Wellington Youth Orchestra in taxing programme under Donald ArmstrongMon 5th August 2019Middle C reviews the WYO Dazzle! concert. […]
- Lex French, WYS alumnus, headlines Jazz FestivalThu 18th April 2019Lex French is bringing his quartet from Canada, Code […]
- Gemma New, WYS alumna and conducting superstar, on the cover of MUSICIANThu 18th April 2019Our famous alumna Gemma New, MD of Hamilton […]
- It’s not too late to join us!Fri 29th March 2019Both our orchestras have started rehearsing, but […]
- Join WYO! Auditions 23 JulyThu 12th July 2018If you missed out on auditioning for WYO in March, […]
- The best drawn from Wellington Youth Orchestra in taxing programme under Donald Armstrong
Lex French is bringing his quartet from Canada, Code Quartet, to headline the Jazz Festival. Top of the bill is the great Herbie Hancock. Code Quartet is just a little further down… Lex is the guy on the far left(trumpet not visible).
Our famous alumna Gemma New, MD of Hamilton Philharmonic Orchestra in Ontario, Canada, has recently appeared on the front cover of MUSICIAN, the American Federation of Musicians magazine. Here’s the cover:
Both our orchestras have started rehearsing, but it’s not too late to join us for 2019. If you’re interested, complete the application form on this site, and email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
The 2019 programme for WYO is here: WYO-2019-ƒ
If you missed out on auditioning for WYO in March, we’d love to hear from you. We are running pick-up auditions on Monday 23 July 7-9 pm. Email email@example.com to get an audition time.
We’ve been thinking about how to take the stress out of the audition process for prospective WYS players (approx Grade IV-VII or Suzuki Book 5 upwards). We would like to trial audio-only auditions for 2019. It will work like this. Send us a recording – an MP3 file will be fine – of you playing about 3 minutes of music. Choose a work or works you like. We will do the rest.
Do you think that would work? No need to turn up to play in front of a panel. Just you and the music. If that would work for you, tell us!
Feedback, please, to firstname.lastname@example.org
Put WYS audio auditions feedback in the subject line.
Simon Brew, MD WYS
Gemma New is a WYOs alumna, playing with the orchestra from the age of 12. She has gone on to build a wonderful reputation as one of the top female conductors in the world.
According to Radio New Zealand:
Gemma New would have to be one of the most exciting young conductors in the world today. The New Zealand-born musician has assisted Gustavo Dudamel, and studied the music of Mendelssohn in Leipzig with Kurt Masur.
Gemma is music director of the Hamilton Philharmonic Orchestra in Canada, and Resident Conductor of the St. Louis Symphony in the USA. Gemma New is back in New Zealand for concerts with the Auckland Philharmonia and Christchurch Symphony Orchestra, and talks to Upbeat about her growing career.
Listen to her talk to Radio New Zealand about her growing career.
She is conducting Sin City, Golden City at the Charles Luney Auditorium, Christchurch on Saturday 26th May at 7:30 pm. The concert includes: DAVIES Mavis in Las Vegas, CRESSWELL Piano Concerto No. 2, and MOZART Symphony No. 38 “Prague” with New Zealand’s own Michael Houstoun on piano.